Need a summer project for your kids? They can help area children by donating food through the Pack A Sack 4 Kids program at Phoenix Rescue Mission.
According to the 2009 USDA Hunger Survey, one in six children in Arizona goes to bed hungry. During the school year, these children benefit from school lunch programs, but when school lets out for summer, it's their families that struggle to fill the gap. Unfortunately, the summer is also a time when food donations are traditionally low at local food banks.
You can join the Mission and Arizona Association of Community Managers in turning hunger into hope this summer by filling a grocery bag with non-perishable foods that kids can make themselves including:
- Peanut Butter
- Granola Bars, Cereal Bars or Snack Bars
- Fruit Cups or Apple Sauce (single serving size)
- Fruit Snacks
- Macaroni & Cheese or Easy Mac Microwavable Pastas
- Pretzels, Trail Mix or Other Healthy Snacks
- Canned Ravioli and Spaghetti (easy-open tops)
- Canned Soup (easy-open tops)
- Juice Boxes or Powdered Juice Mix
- Beef Jerky
- Breakfast Cereal
- Single Serving Meals (that do not need to be refrigerated or frozen)
Once assembled, these bags can be dropped of at any Phoenix Rescue Mission collection box or our Family Outreach Center at:
1468 N 26th Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85009
Visit our website if you'd like some other projects to keep everyone busy while helping others this summer.